Children will still enjoy sharing books but will also be reading at a level where they can read independently.
The books listed for Foundation 2 will still be enjoyed but read independently. Your child will still enjoy being read to and talking about the stories.
• Katie Morag by Mairi Hedderwick*
• The lighthouse keeper’s lunch by Ronda Armitage*
• Tyrannosaurus Drip by Julia Donaldson* (the current Children’s Laureate)
• Willy the dreamer by Anthony Browne
• Winnie’s midnight dragon by Valerie Thomas *
• Mog the forgetful cat by Judith Kerr*
• The Jolly Postman by Allan Ahlberg
• Dinosaurs love underpants by Claire Freedman
• Patrick by Quentin Blake
As your child reads more confidently and independently they will be ready to begin chapter books. Some books enjoyed by Year 2 pupils are listed below.
• The Hodgeheg by Dick King-Smith*
• Winnie’s big catch by Laura Owen *
• The magic finger by Roald Dahl*
• Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown
• Horrid Henry by Francesca Simon*
• The owl who was afraid of the dark by Jill Tomlinson*
• Noah’s shark by Alan Durant
• Merbaby by Penny Kendal
• Josie’s garden by David Orme
• Carving the sea path by Kathryn White
• The emperor’s new clothes by Louise John