At Llandovery College we are ambitious for our pupils, as unique individuals, and we want to shape them into well-rounded learners fully equipped with the flexibility, resilience and resourcefulness to embrace whatever lies ahead in the rapidly changing global market place they will grow into. It is our aim that our curriculum should equip our children to become:
- Inquirers—their natural curiosity should be nurtured and they should actively enjoy learning;
- Thinkers—they have the chance to exercise initiative in applying thinking skills, critically and creatively, to solve complex problems;
- Communicators—they should be able to receive and express ideas and information (ideally confidently in more than one language);
- Risk-takers—they should be able to approach unfamiliar situations without anxiety and have the confidence to explore new ideas;
- Knowledgeable—they should have the opportunity to explore themes that have global significance within a Welsh context and to acquire a critical mass of knowledge;
- Principled—they should develop a sound grasp of the principles of moral reasoning, integrity, honesty and a sense of justice;
- Caring—they should be encouraged to show sensitivity towards the needs and feelings of others and have a sense of personal commitment to helping others;
- Open-minded—we would like them to respect the values of other individuals and cultures and seek to consider a range of points of view;
- Well-balanced—enabling children to understand the importance of physical and mental balance and personal well-being;
- Reflective—encouraging children to give thoughtful consideration to their own learning by constructively analysing their own personal strengths and weaknesses.
Our Year 7 and 8 Middle Years Programme is a dynamic bridge between Primary School and GCSE studies. We are able to offer the nurturing pastoral care, holistic education and small classes that children are used to in their primary setting, combined with high quality subject specialist approaches.
Our Middle School curriculum is underpinned by two ideas: international mindedness and brain-friendly learning and teaching. Our offering is a vibrant 21st Century skills-based curriculum, designed to foster a love of learning and to meet the needs of our broad range of learners.